What is a logo? Is it important to have a logo?
Logo design, also called corporate identity, is the foundation of a company’s image, referred to as the brand. While branding is a far more intricate environment, incl labeling, product, display, and much more, the logo itself is the foundation of the brand.
What types of logos are there?
- Pictogram: A pictogram or pictograph is a symbol which represents a concept or an object by illustration.
- Icon: a graphic symbol (usually a simple picture) that denotes a program or a command or a data file or a concept in a graphical user interface.
- Typographical: Logotype with typographical qualities only. No visual objects are just but fonts.
- Index: An index is not an object but rather the result of the object examle : the footprint of an animal
Logo Design Process
Some people might think, to design a logo is as simple as finding an icon somewhere and putting it in front of the company name. Good logo designers will come up with a clever logo design that implies the nature of business the company is in without being too lierate. A logo should be reduced to the simplest version to it’s most fundamental properties.
The process of creating an effective logo is complex. The logo must be visual striking, and should provide visual cues to the viewer as to the nature, function, or service of the company.
What should a logo be? Here are a few rules for good logo design:
- Type must be readable even in small sizes.
- The logo should look good in black and white.
- The logo should be recognizable when resized to smaller sizes like business cards.
- The logo must have some connection to what it is representing.
- The logo should be recognizable when mirrored.
- Everyone should like the logo design, not just the business that will use it.
Research and Objective
- What is the logo for?
- What does the company do?
- What does the name imply?
- What is the meaning of the service, are there specific objects that imply the service?
- What has already been done?
- What is the main focus of the company?
Brainstorming and Concept Creation
Brainstorming and listings of keywords can help to spark ideas and get a wider look at the company and services.
Sketching of Ideas and Brainstorming Results
Vector Based Implementation – Recreate Best Ideas
Customer Approval and Final Refinement